Why you don't need snooze with Google Calendar

18 Sep 2010
Posted by Kiran

Ever since I moved to Android from Windows Mobile, I have been complaining about the Android Platform's seeming limitation in handling Calendar reminders. The fact that the Android Calendar gave me only one 5-minute snooze option always troubled me and I have written about this annoyance in the past too.

I promptly bought Calendar Snooze, an application available in the Android Market which allows users to choose the duration of time for which the reminder must be snoozed, and even recommended it in one of my blog posts.

When I noticed that Google had neglected to include the feature in their much hyped Android 2.2 (Froyo) as well, I couldn't understand why Google chose to ignore such basic functionality.

However, in all my eagerness to lambast Google at their oversight, I seem to have neglected one design feature of the Google Calendar, which renders the snooze option redundant.

Unlike Microsoft Outlook — or, for that matter, any of the other Microsoft products — Google Calendar allows users to setup multiple reminders, or notifications as Google chooses to call them, for each appointment.

Hence if a user wanted an advance alert of an upcoming appointment and then another alert closer to the start of the appointment, the user could choose to setup two notifications: say a half hour prior to the start of the appointment and another five minutes prior to the start of the appointment.

I personally set up a pattern of three notifications for each of my appointments: 30 minutes, 15 minutes and 5 minutes prior to the start of my appointments. This approach pretty much serves the purpose of snoozing the same reminder multiple times. The variable snooze option, which I so heavily utilized in Microsoft Outlook and Windows Mobile, is rendered unnecessary.

Reminders at Calendar level
Multiple Notifications setup at a Calendar level

The notification setting can be tweaked at a Calendar level or for each individual appointment. Hence, if there is a generic pattern of reminders that any user likes, he/she could setup that pattern at the calendar level and all new appointments would follow that pattern of notifications. And the user still has the flexibility to setup a different pattern of notifications for any specific appointment as may be necessary.

Reminders at Meeting level
Multiple Notifications setup at an Appointment level

Since the calendar on Android is just an extension of the Google Calendar into the Mobile realm, this design feature is very much applicable to Android as well.

It’s a paradigm shift, that’s what it is. Most of us who have moved to Android from the Microsoft world generally don't think of setting multiple reminders on our Appointments — we just set one reminder and then keep snoozing it till our appointment is actually due. That is what we have become accustomed to thanks to Microsoft’s design.

With Google we will have to start thinking differently: setup as many reminders as you want on each of your Calendars or appointments. Then, as each notification pops-up to remind you of the upcoming meeting, just dismiss it and rest assured that the second/third notification you setup for that meeting will still come up to remind you again.

Forget snooze, you don’t need it with Google Calendar. And that goes for Android too.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Hurrah, that's what I was exploring for, what a material!
present here at this website, thanks admin of this web
site.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

I am rdgular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted
at this web page is really pleasant.

my web-site http://website-laten-maken.blogspot.be

Ya it's clear you can set up

Ya it's clear you can set up multiple reminders, but the function of the snooze button is a 1 click delay. I don't want to go back and edit the event and reset the reminder every time that I'm busy when I thought I wouldn't be. That's like 4 clicks. And if I've got 4 reminders going off at the same time. That's 16 clicks. If I'm busy, this is rude to be clicking around on my phone changing reminders. I just want to snooze all of them until I'm finished with my conversation.

57 yrs old Business Broker Nestor from Thornbury,
likes garage saleing, http://luiaufeminin.com/
and crafts. Gets encouragement through travel and just spent 3 weeks
at Timbuktu.

Thanks! I needed this. I

Thanks! I needed this. I searched Google and found you. I set up another reminder. Most helpful! -Dave

53 yrs old Television Presenter Lester from McBride,
has many hobbies and interests which include
pottery, QQDewa and fossils.

Continues to be a travel maniac and in recent past gone to Barcelona.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

I'm still learning from you, as I'm improving myself. I absolutely love reading everything that is posted on your website.Keep the tips coming.

I liked it!

My web page Yeezy Boost 350 Women

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

58 yr old Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) Duane from Lacombe, loves playing
music, pokerbola.info and traveling.
Remembers what an extraordinary location it was having visited Archaeological Sites of the Island
of Meroe.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Bacon is certainly Just about everywhere
recently, just isn't it?

my website canadian tire corporation

Glad to be of some help

Glad to be of some help Dave. I am happy you found my post useful.

Thanks for visiting.

Regards,
Kiran

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Simply wish to say your article is as amazing.
The clearness in your post is just spectacular and
i could assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with
your permission let me to grab your feed to keep
up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.

My web page escorts in dudley

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Ngage brand was kept for a couple years as being a windows mobile games on pc (Troy) company involved on Nokia's general purpose phones.

Snooze

I agree completely with Rashad - there are many situations where you might want to choose a different snooze period depending on the situation. The preset reminders offered by Google do not offer the same functionality.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Terrific Link Pamela99! Classes and Castes.

My webpage canadian dollar chart

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

It's awesome to go to see this web site and reading the views of all friends on the topic of this piece of writing,
while I am also zealous of getting familiarity.

my homepage Tiles In Singapore

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Some are considerably more generally eaten than others.

my web page AnnoyedCanadian.com

Snooze

Nope. Don't agree at all. Granted , it is better than nothing, but the calendar I've been used to has a simple drop down that let's me tell it to snooze for variable lengths of time - and that's really useful to me. I could tell a "library book due" message to come back to me in two days - but I may want a reminder to call my doctor to only snooze for 10 minutes.
Preset patterns are just not the same thing.

24 year-old ICT Sales Representative Rey Mcqueeney from Earlton, has
numerous hobbies and interests including classic cars, Situs Judi and rc model aircrafts.
Finds the globe an enjoyable place having spent 6 days at Ilulissat Icefjord.

Since I just found this and

Since I just found this and it's still an issue (come on google!!!) I thought I'd share my solution. I took Kiran's path several years ago when I moved from Palm to iPhone, but found it so unsatisfactory that I moved to Android. "Calendar Event Reminder (CER)" was my first purchase on Android. (I have no stake in the App other than that it is so useful.)

Multiple reminders are just too annoying. Snoozing is what I want. Snoozing is what I get with CER. I enable the "extra snooze buttons" which gives you a choice of six different customizable snoozes. I usually set it up to have the following: 5min, 10min, 30min, 1hr, 1min before event time (however many minutes from now that is), and custom (let's you pick a snooze time).

Perhaps even more important, CER can simply be setup to bring a very forceful reminder dialog to the front and remain there until you snooze it, so you don't miss the dialog, or the unobtrusive notification. Best $3 I have ever spent. It's the first app I install on every new Android it get.

There's another "Calendar Event Reminder" app in the playstore. Neither it nor "Calendar Snooze" is nearly as good as "Calendar Event Reminder (CER)", so be careful if you want to try it out.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

31 yr old Traditional Asian Medical Practitioner Rey from Listuguj Mi'gmaq First Nation, usually spends time with hobbies and interests such as pottery, http://Pokerqq81.Com/ and tombstone rubbing.
Gains encouragement through travel and just spent 2 weeks at Catalan Romanesque Churches of the Vall de Boí.

My web page http://Pokerqq81.Com/

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

The Kobo Feel was good for epubs, but.

My web site canadian tire motorsports park

44 yr old Telecommunications Community Engineer
Rodrick Stanforth from Swift Current, has many pursuits
which include painting, Situs Judi Poker Online and riddles.
Recollects what a remarkable spot it was having paid
a visit to Coffee Cultural Landscape of Colombia.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

Businesses basically about rates canadian dollar to cuc the nearest nickel.

27 year-old Information and Organisation Experts
Rodger from Sainte-Genevieve, loves to spend some time body building, judipoker99.com and soccer.
Wants to travel and was enthused after going to Lagoons of New
Caledonia: Reef Diversity and Associated Ecosystems.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

35 yr old Gallery or Public Technician Murry from Schomberg, loves bmx, Situs Poker Online
and canoeing. Recently has gone to Garden Kingdom of Dessau-Wörlitz.

59 yrs old Journalists and Other Authors Breyfogle from
Swan Lake, loves to spend some time quick cars, Golden Bola and handball.
Recently took some time to visit Pearling.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

53 year-old Dental Specialist Kristopher Adney from Igloolik, has hobbies and interests
for instance musical instruments, Ceme Online and fossils.
Completed a cruiseship experience that consisted of passing by Rock Drawings in Valcamonica.

Good point

Good point there Rashad. Yes, the preset patterns aren't for managing tasks which you have on your mind. And yes, I forgot that many of us use calendars for managing tasks as well; I don't.

However, for calendar appointments - meetings at predefined times - the preset pattern works.

Reply to comment | Kiran J. Holla

31 years old Fibrous Plasterer Adney from Fort Erie, loves to spend time aeromodeling, Judi Poker Online and
aromatherapy. Discovers the beauty in visiting destinations across the entire world, recently just returning
from Laurisilva of Madeira.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options